After a slow rollout, the British Columbia cannabis retail industry has experienced tremendous growth, with more than 200 licensed cannabis retail stores now open for business. The cannabis retail market in British Columbia operates under a hybrid private/public system. The Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) is responsible for issuing cannabis retail store licenses and regulating the activities of licensed operators, while the Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) oversees the wholesale distribution of recreational cannabis products and the operation of government-run retail stores. The hybrid system gives adults 19 years of age and older flexibility in purchasing legal cannabis, whether from licensed private retailers, government-run stores, or the British Columbia government-run online store. Prospective applicants must own, lease, or have an agreement for a retail space before submitting an application. The LCRB requires each applicant to undergo extensive security screening and to disclose detailed personal and financial information.
Overview of Licensing ProcessFigure 1. Overview of British Columbia cannabis retail regulations. It is a great time for new businesses and investors to break into the British Columbia cannabis retail market, and CannDelta is here to help! How we can help:
- LCRB Cannabis Retail Store Licence applications
- Complete provincially tailored cannabis retail Standard Operating Procedures
- On-going provincial regulatory support
- Cannabis retail worker hiring support
- Cannabis retail store site-suitability evaluations
- Financial modeling services
- Store layout and fixturing designs
- Operational compliance and process flow
- Store security system design services
- LCRB store inspection preparation
Reach out today for a free consultation on how to get started on your licensing application! Click on your province below to see the most up-to-date legal requirements for cannabis retail store licenses in your region.
By this point, you’re probably wondering, “How much does it cost to open a dispensary in Britsh Columbia?” Download our free e-book below for all the answers you’ve been looking for.